Friday, May 3, 2024

California Dreamin’!

 Only two days left until we start to head east! This morning was the first task we had to accomplish before starting our journey. Crossroads Cycling Adventures requires that everyone in the group have their bike inspected by a Crossroads mechanic to make sure their bike is in the proper condition to undertake a 3,400 mile journey. This was a step I was both looking forward to and dreading at the same time. So much so that I’d actually had a nightmare that I got all the way here, only to have my bike fail the safety check and to have Crossroads tell me I couldn’t participate on that bike. From the day I had the bike shipped, I’ve been waiting for this day. 

One of the Crossroads mechanics giving my bike the once-over

Turns out I was all worried and worked up over nothing. Although their mechanic did find one small discrepancy (a slight amount of brake rub in the back brake), all it needed was a minor adjustment and it was good to go. 

Once he was done, I brought the bike back to my room to put everything back on it (lights, bottle cage, sensors, frame pump, etc.). In the process of doing so, I managed to snap the locking tab off of my headlight mount! So I check to see if I can find a replacement, and I found a suitable replacement on Amazon. Initially, Amazon assumed I would be shipping it to my home in NJ and said I could have it delivered tomorrow. Perfect! So I checked with the front desk, and they said no problem. Only, when I entered the shipping address into Amazon’s app, suddenly tomorrow turns into middle of next week. That’s not going to work! So I run back over to the Crossroads staff and show them the part, and Dana (the owner) informs me that he’ll be heading over to Helen’s Cycles in Manhattan Beach a little later and would see if they have one. Worst case scenario, he said I could always order the one from Amazon and have it shipped to our hotel for the first rest day. Well, long story short, Helen’s had the part, and here is the best part - NO CHARGE!

Anyway, now that I had my bike back in my possession, it was time to take it for a ride, to make sure everything was functioning the way it should. So I took it for a short 20-mile ride. That bike rides SO nice right now! I am so looking forward to embarking on this trip!

Today’s ride

Anyway, after my ride, I was able to meet up with my daughter for dinner. She took me to Target to pick up a few things I forgot to bring, and then we had a terrific dinner at North Italia in El Segundo. Some protein, some carbs… and some coffee!

Norah and me outside the restaurant

Anyway, as I write this I look at my watch and it isn’t even 9pm yet. And although I am generally a night person, my body says it is coming up on midnight. So, time for bed. Tomorrow is another big day - a morning ride (most likely the same route as today), followed by lunch and orientation! So, bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 15: Rest day in Santa Fe, NM

The road so far: Miles traveled: 921.41 miles Elevation gained: 34,798 feet The road yet to come: Miles to go: 2,502.4 miles Elevation to ga...